Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Loose Watercolors

Here are some of my attempts at loosely painting in watercolor, done in Spring 2011.  Some are more successful than others but I'm posting them all here so you can see my struggles, experiments, and occasionally tripping over gems of happy accidents. After all, I have not made any postings for about a year and this is to make up for that. I will forever be a student for when I stop learning is when my work cease to have meaning.

"Orange Cover" Watercolor, 9x11. Our tree produced extra tasty fruits that year and before the squirrels ate them all, I managed to paint this, adding the rusty color of the shed roof that enables the critters to feast on our oranges.

"Livermore Barn" Watercolor, 15x22. Livermore has beautiful rolling hills of farms and vineyards. Sadly, developers can't build gigantic condos and shopping centers fast enough, destroying views like these on their path. I'm doing what I can to preserve and chronicle these images while I still can.

"Oak" Watercolor, 5.5x14. I think Oak trees are beautiful but one of the hardest to draw and paint. I experimented with a spray bottle then allowing the water to carry the pigments, spreading it from droplet to droplet, thus creating the prickly twisted branches that is so characteristic of the mighty Oak. Fun!

"Iris" Watercolor 10.5x14.5.  I think I can go further on this one, adding more hard edges and deeper shadows to make the forms less confused...

"Rosy Roses" Watercolor 6.5x10.  Here again could use more hard edges, but the soft dreamy effects works too.

"Veggie Tail" Watercolor 8x11.  This was painted using live produce. I attacked this piece fast and aggressive, like how it turned out and learned that it takes a lot of confidence to paint that way. Keep practicing....

"Radishlicious" Watercolor 12x16.  I love the perspective on this piece and enjoyed painting the roots the most. Go figure ;)

"Squash 'N Garlics" Watercolor 12.5x16.  No one is safe in my kitchen :)

"Last Blooms" Watercolor 12x16.  I wanted to play with the muted colors of winter and suggest the left over flowers that were once bright and now dry and wasting away yet creating an intriguing mood.

"Arum's Baby" Watercolor 14x22.5.  I learned recently from my sister Josie the difference between Calla Lilies and Arum Lilies and the giant species I have are called Arum. This little guy was enjoying them and I couldn't resist taking a few snap shots. Of course I just have to paint him.

No comments: