Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Women of Kauai Series 1

The Women of Kauai fascinates me so I wanted to do a series of paintings depicting them using resources from my visit there in 2010. I'm developing these paintings from the sketches and photos that I took. Each time I work on these, I'm reminded of the rich experience I had immersing myself in the culture and lush environment. Their beauty goes deep in a way that celebrates unpretentious love of life, unaffected by what media dictates on how they should look, act, or feel. Everywhere I turn, there's this infectious happiness imbedded in these women's faces of wisdom, content, and richness... 

Grace 
Watercolor 18x23.5
I named this piece Grace because of the way she moved while she told a story of a beautiful Princess of the Island of Kauai. With her graceful hands and the intensity of expression on her face, I wanted to capture the reverence she felt while she paid tribute to her beloved Princess.This painting is currently in the members' show for Santa Clara Valley Watercolor Society at Los Altos Library, CA.


 Chant
Watercolor 16x20
Another way of storytelling done by Hawaiians is the Chant where, instead of doing it with their hands like in Hula, they utter words in honor of their royalties and culture.

2 comments:

northierthanthou said...

Very cool work.

Janet Groza said...

Thank you for your comment, northierthanthou. Sorry for the late response. I took a little break from the internet so I can move location and paint more. Please come back and check out my new work I will be posting soon... :) JanetG